Sun

Jul

2012

Yaaic 1.0

It took quite some time but now a new release of Yaaic is available!

Yaaic 1.0 features a new revamped UI looking more like a modern Ice Cream Sandwich / Jelly Bean Android app. Swiping through channels is much smoother thanks to the ViewPager component that replaced the old ConversationGallery. At the top is now a new indicator replacing the dots at the bottom. The indicator uses 2 colors to indicate the state of conversations currently not visible: Blue channels have unread messages waiting and yellow channels are indicating that there's a highlighted message waiting for you.

I hope you enjoy the new version of Yaaic.  A bunch of new screenshots can be found on the screenshots page. For a more complete list of changes read the changelog.

Download Yaaic 1.0

Write a comment

Comments: 35

• #1

Lollipop (Monday, 30 July 2012 03:17)

Congrats on the long-awaited release!

Quickie question: any plans for a tablet version of the interface?

• #2

Lasengogh (Monday, 30 July 2012 23:50)

Thank you so much for Yaiic 1.0! It seems to be awesome, the UI is now _much_ better. I'd still hope for few features, i'd like to see a hybrid charset, which would allow me to see all the letters correctly despite another users are using a UTF8 or regular 8859 charset (or what ever that was). Of course, only letters like Ä Ö Å etc are not working properly.... another wish would be an option for a quick access on/off sound or notification light when a new message comes on to the channel. (not highlighted). But. Mostly i just wanted to thank you for yaiic 1.0, it's easily the best client for android and i think i've tried them all!

• JimdoBusiness
    #3

yaaic (Tuesday, 31 July 2012 00:01)

Thanks!

Lollipop: Yes, a tablet UI is planned but will need some time. I still don't own a tablet myself... but this will change soon! ;)

Lasengogh: Hum, a hybrid charset. Isn't that what UTF-8 is good for? Otherwise there would be a need for a bunch of "hybrid charsets" for different languages?

• #4

Matt (Tuesday, 31 July 2012 06:32)

Wow, very blown away by yaaic 1.0! After playing around with it today, the only complaints I can come up with are nitpicks. The biggest problem is a glaring omission of a copying text function from the chat. I'd love to be able to copy a line/lines people have said and be able to paste them. A part channel button might be cool too, and perhaps sorting channels alphabetically. But those are minor quibbles. I'm massively impressed with the new ICS interface overall. Keep up the good work.

• JimdoBusiness
    #5

yaaic (Tuesday, 31 July 2012 08:11)

Thanks Matt!

Copying&Pasting is a good point. Part button already exists. Either in the overflow menu of the ActionBar (the 3 dots) or when pressing the menu key on an Android 4 device with hardware menu button.

• #6

Matt (Wednesday, 01 August 2012 06:45)

Oh, I see, it's the "Close" button under the menu. Gotcha. I guess I was looking a little too explicitly for something that said "part". Thanks.

Also, I'm running Yaaic on an HTC Evo 4G LTE very well for what it's worth. No hangups whatsoever. If you want to add that to your "supported devices" list.

• #7

Pardek (Wednesday, 08 August 2012 01:38)

Running the new yaaic on my HTC sensation. /nick doesn't work, getting frustrated by the autoscroll to bottom on new text, and the channel join/part once a server is open also seems to be broken.

• #8

Eponymous (Wednesday, 08 August 2012 16:53)

Hello,

The new UI looks great! I should note, however, that I am experiencing significantly more disconnects on this version than the previous version. As far as I can tell this tends to occur after several minutes of inactivity in a channel. Is there an issue with the ping event? Thanks!

• #9

Sebastian (Wednesday, 08 August 2012 18:09)

Hi!

> /nick doesn't work

/nick works here. Which server are you using? Is it public?

> getting frustrated by the autoscroll to bottom on new text

Yes, this has been added to the issue list already. It's planned to
    only auto-scroll if the list is already at the bottom.

> and the channel join/part once a server is open also seems to be broken.

Tried that one as well without problems. Maybe it's also a problem
    with the specific irc server.

Best regards,
    Sebastian

• #10

Pardek (Thursday, 09 August 2012 03:02)

Sebastian,

The main server I use yaaic for is Rizon.net, but I'm also having the same issues on another private server. Wondering if perhaps its handset specific?

• #11

Sebastian (Thursday, 09 August 2012 08:28)

I'll try it with the Sensation and Rizon today. Thanks for the bug report! :)

I'll track the issue on github:

• #12

enrico (Thursday, 30 August 2012 21:34)

Does it work on this version the xdcc ? Cheers

• #13

MJ Ray (Thursday, 13 September 2012 19:02)

I'm a happy user of 0.9 and saw that a new version is available in f Droid. Why is it so much bigger and are there any plans for a diet version?

• #14

vedran (Wednesday, 10 October 2012 16:40)

Overall I'm quite happy with release, but I don't like how vertical space is wasted with those pretty much useless buttons on top (also window names could be a bit smaller). If I open a keyboard in landscape mode I don't see anything from the chat window anymore, only the menu, input field and the keyboard (no, I'm not using fullscreen in landscape mode option, there is just not enough room). I wish there was an option to hide the menu bar.

• #15

Taco (Sunday, 28 October 2012 23:29)

I'm a huge fan of the look and feel of this app. I'm running it on a Nexus 7 unrooted with Android 4.1.2. I'm here from AndChat which I liked but found buggy. Three features I would love to see:

1. Nick completion - I don't have a hard menu or search button. AndChat has a magnifying glass in the text box, and it's perfect.

2. Switching servers - AndChat uses the volume rocker to switch between connected/active servers. It can be changed in options to be disabled or disabled when music is playing.

3. Persistent keyboard - every time I type a line, the keyboard disappears. I'm using SwiftKey 3 Tablet, but the stock keyboard disappears after each line too.

Keep it up! One day I will find an irc client I am 100% happy with :)

• #16

Scunizi (Wednesday, 14 November 2012 15:05)

Good job on the app.. I've loaded it up on my google TV box (Revue). A couple of things of note on that interface, TAB is not recognized for autocomplete (when entering someone's nick). There may be another key that does this but I haven't found it yet. Also after using it for a bit I suddenly couldn't enter more than about 8-10 characters before they would go red, erase all but the first character and any additional characters entered when on top of that first character.. Probably just my interface.. I'll have to try this on my phone to verify

• JimdoBusiness
    #17

yaaic (Wednesday, 14 November 2012 19:18)

Scunizi, that's interesting. If you ever read this, just send me a mail via the contact form. I'd like to ask you some questions about your Google TV experience. ;)

• #18

Cahata (Friday, 28 December 2012 04:15)

Supreme app the only lacking thing is logs...

• #19

ian (Saturday, 29 December 2012 16:05)

Of all chat clients I've used, this has the cleanest ui. I hope the next version will have logs and command alias. Great job!

• #20

Matt (Monday, 28 January 2013 04:57)

I really like the look and feel.

However for some reason I can't join channels. If I am in the channel on another device, when I join from yaaic I see the join message appear in the channel but on yaaic I can only see the server channel.

Using a zte blade with cm7.

• #21

Wirot (Wednesday, 06 February 2013 05:52)

The GUI looks good. However please add whois command when we tab on the user. And please add the list channel in new windows and can join that channel when tab on the name of channel.

• #22

Fotogravinnetje (Thursday, 07 March 2013 10:01)

I love Yaaic. Only thing I miss is additional words to highlight. Oh, and I had to put an aditional command to identify myself through nickserv, despite having my password given in settings.
    With some custom rom and/or a bluetooth keyboard to go with my nexus 7 nickcompletion is no problem for me.
    Yaaic works quite nicely on my nexus 7 with Rootbox Rom (android 4.2.2)

• #23

DEbbie Schnackenbeck (Tuesday, 12 March 2013 06:24)

im asking a question im trying, to get yaaic to work on my phone and it wouldnt open, is there something im doing wrong or what it wouldnt open the irc.kdfs.net on my phone is there anything im doing wrong

• #24

Peter (Friday, 22 March 2013 00:08)

Been using it for almost two years and I love it! A few small complaints though. Auto-scroll should be as it was, only if already on bottom. Also list channels would be nice, some servers have huge lists for /list. Also /ignore doesn't work for me, should be added under nick options, as well as whois. I'd like to have an option to set a specific channel to also give notifications like pm messages, because there are rooms created on the run for three people chat and I have to check on those manually.

That said, I only have to say thanks a lot! It really works great

• #25

Dmitry (Saturday, 27 April 2013 14:05)

Hi. I'm sorry, I do not know English and writing through google translate. Thank you for the program, this is the best of the IRC client I've tested many. BUT! Not enough copies. Because of this, I sometimes have to run multiple different IRC clients that communicate through Yaaic, and if necessary to copy from the other.

• #26

twohot (Thursday, 04 July 2013 21:15)

Clean! Absense of logging is a major turn-off. That, ability to select text from chat screen will make yaaic a clear leader

• #27

kaz (Friday, 05 July 2013 21:52)

how come yaaic wont let me type the letter A? if i need a A anywhere in the sentence i gotta press A at the begining, go over, type what i want til i get to where i need the A and hope i only need the 1 because when i press A and hold it, it erases everything.

• #28

robert (Tuesday, 13 August 2013 15:49)

Why can't i copy and paste? Is DCC supported?

• #29

best android phone (Tuesday, 10 September 2013 07:15)

I enjoy to translate and revalue your transmute.

• #30

Fatih Ceyhan (Monday, 16 September 2013 19:59)

Hello, Thank you for your effort on the application. It appears you considered every detail.
    However, being a regular user of the application, I have a plea for your next update.

Is it possible that we receive a customized visual/audio notification when a user we chose comes online (just like we do when we receive a personal message)?

I hope you take my plea in to consideration.

Wishing you success

Best regards,

• #31

Fabio Cannistrà (Wednesday, 25 September 2013 19:13)

New update???????

• #32

anynmous (Friday, 06 December 2013 16:05)

awesome app.
    hope the new verison can logging to sd!!

• #33

Ode (Tuesday, 01 July 2014 17:20)

Great app, just curious now why avast say it contains pircob-f [pup] trojan?

Few years active use and now avast tries to spoil fun.

• #34

LuvYaaic (Friday, 04 July 2014 18:12)

Is there going to be an update to this app dropping anytime soon?

• #35

Aaron Toponce (Friday, 18 July 2014 07:02)

Yaaic is abandonware. Check out the fork Atomic. Much improved.

Twitter

Yaaic @ IRC:

Server: irc.epd-me.net

Channel: #yaaic

Android Zeitgeist - Android Developer Blog

Lands of Ruin

Are you into tabletop gaming? Take a look at Lands of Ruin, a tabletop strategy game I am also working on. It's played with an Android companion app.